Photokeith

I need a camera to my eye

Thursday, November 16, 2006










Day 5: I need a camera to my eye

After saying that I hated the typical tourist photo, I ended up shooting a lot of typical tourist photos today. I tried to put a little bit of artist cred on them, but I don't know how well that worked. Today was a long day! On the encouragement of my friends last night, I got up early and was out the door by 6:30. I was off to visit the Summer Palace. I had my first trip on a Chinese subway and taxi. It took me over an hour to get to this place. I find it amazing that you can travel for over an hour and still be in the Beijing city limits!

The Summer Palace is absolutely breathtaking! I cannot think of another place that is as gorgeous. Versailles comes close, but it was so peaceful in the morning before the tourists came. It was so easy to get lost and discover some new garden or temple. I walked for over 3 hours in the place. My legs are beginning to feel the pain of constantly walking and climbing. I have a really bad ankle cramp that I have been trying to massage all day.

After the Summer Palace I headed South to visit the White Cloud Temple. Taoist monks run the place, and these guys can move. I could not really get any good shots of them. Plus I am a little apprehensive about photographing in religious areas. I don't want to disturb what is a very serious moment for most people. This is a bit of a dilemma for my next stop Lama Temple. It is the most renowned Tibetan Buddhist temple outside of Tibet. It is a gorgeous place and a little bit easier to photograph some of the events. Again I just feel like I should put the camera away and light some incense.

Today was a lot different from the rest. I stepped outside of the normal drive to photograph people and see what I could get in the landscape and architecture department. I have to admit that I am really beginning to miss home. I love being here, but I have a case of the traveling blues. At the end of the day it is just nice to be able to put the camera down and not have to worry about where you are going to eat and making sure you can find where you need to go. Plus my body is just beat down. Sleep is still not regular and my back is killing me from carrying around 3 cameras. I know I shouldn't complain. I promise that I will be happier tomorrow!! Okay!?? : )

My radom China thought for the day is this: There are Germans everywhere!! Why is that? I can't seem to escape them.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM , Blogger stilts said...

    great pictures ,they are getting better each day i bet you took a ton of them and will have some great stories, also pictures keep on doing a great job it will pay off one day. later the great stilts

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home